Not sure if cutting the cord is a good idea? Look at the latest statistics:
1) 8 of the top 11 most anticipated shows of the 2015 midseason are available without cable.
You no longer need cable to watch 8 of the 11 best new shows this spring and summer. All you need is an antenna and subscription to a service like Netflix or HBO Now. If you want to see the other 3 top shows you can buy them on services like Amazon Instant for less than it would cost you for the typical cable subscription.
2) Half of all TV is now streamed online; broadcast TV made up 51% of all TV consumed in the 3rd quarter of 2014.
It was not too long ago that broadcast TV was the vast majority of all content watched online, but that is no longer true! Traditional pay-TV is steadily losing ground to less expensive options provided through cord cutting. As most of the best content is already free over the air on networks like Fox, CBC, ABC, and NBC, why pay over $100 a month when most of your content can be received for free (or significantly less)?
3) 1.4 million US homes canceled cable in 2013.
You are not alone! The cord cutting movement is growing quickly and we bet several people you know have already done it. Some analysts expect over a 1,000,000 cable subscribers will cancel cable in just one quarter by the end of 2016.
4) The average age of people who stream content online is 35-44 years old.
If you thought cord cutting was something just “millennials” did, think again! A recent survey showed the average age for cord cutters was 35-44 year olds.
5) More 45-54 year olds, by percentage, subscribe to an OTT service like Netflix than do 18-24 year olds.
If you want even more proof that cord cutting is not something only done by 20 and 30 somethings, here it is: more 45-54 year olds have cut cable than have 35-44 year olds. People have long misunderstood cord cutting to be a difficult process only for the young and tech savvy. Truth is, it’s easier than ever.
6) Since Sling TV came out, Mohu antenna sales have doubled at places like Walmart.
To see evidence that the cord cutting movement is picking up speed, just look at Mohu sales numbers to see the proof. Since Sling TV came out earlier this year sales of their Mohu antennas in major stores like Walmart have doubled.
7) About 80% of people canceled cable due to the cost. Cost a major factor for prospective cord cutters, too.
Don’t think you are crazy because you don’t want to pay $100 or more every month for TV content. Cord cutting can be considerably cheaper, especially with an antenna that allows you to receive most of the top rated shows free over the air.
Cord cutting is bigger, and easier, than you may think. When 8 of the top 11 shows this summer are free over the air, or available with a subscription to a service like Netflix, doesn’t it just make sense to cut the cord?
Luke Bouma is the owner of CordCutterNews.com and is a dedicated cord cutter. Cord Cutter News gives you some of the best reviews and news about cutting the cord. You can find them on Twitter @CordCuttersNews or on their Facebook Page.